02 July 2012

Book Review No. 63


















The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Summary:  Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis.  But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.  (taken from book jacket)

First Lines:  Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate infrequently, and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.  Whenever you read a cancer booklet or website or whatever, they always list depression among the side effects of cancer.  But, in fact, depression is not a side effect of cancer.  Depression is a side effect of dying.  (Cancer is also a side effect of dying.  Almost everything is, really).

My Critique:  This book was selected as our June book club selection.  We met last week and I wanted to wait until after our discussion to post my review.  This was the first book I had read by John Green and I'm so glad I found this author.  He writes in a way that makes his characters seem like they're sitting on the couch with you...they're so real.  This book is about two teens who have cancer so obviously it's a sad book and it pulls at your emotions.  I didn't cry while reading it but I'm not a big cryer.  I normally don't like these types of books, preferring happier books but this one pulled me in.  Jennie said, and I agree, that she found herself liking this book against her will.  I think that's a good summation of how I felt.  It's like you don't want to like it but you can't help it.  The characters are charming and witty and Isaac provides good comic relief...which is strange given his tragic life as well.  In addition to genuinely liking the characters, I really loved the writing of Green.  He has a way of phrasing sentences that are just beautiful.  Like written art.  Here are some of my favorite lines:

(Pg.  9) “It occurred to me why they call it eye contact.”  (after see Augustus for the first time and looking into his eyes)

(Pg. 124/125)  “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep:  slowly, and then all at once.”

(Pg.  153)  “I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things.  I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

(Pg. 203)  “As his parted lips met mine, I started to feel breathless in a new and fascinating way.”

(Pg. 262)  “It felt like losing your co-rememberer meant losing the memory itself…”

(Pg. 270)  “I love you present tense.”

(Pg. 286)  “Grief does not change you…It reveals you.”

I definitely think this book is worth reading. and I will for sure be checking out some other stuff written by John Green.  This is now up there with one of my favorites.

----------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the afore mentioned book, The Fault in Our Stars, are the sole views and opinions of the author and have nothing to do with me or my own views/opinions/beliefs...so get off my back. I am in no way affiliated with with afore mentioned author...except that one time in Vegas------------uh, nevermind...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog